At Verdeaurora Bio Farm we study the best care for our crops and for the environment. We use compost as an organic fertilizer throughout our farm producing less volume of garbage and contributing the ecological factor to agriculture.
What is compost?
The compost is one of the best organic and natural fertilizers available to treat the crop and achieve greater fertility in the land. It is made up of all kinds of organic waste, such as food waste, pruning or gardening, among many others.
This ecological fertilizer is obtained from a process of microbacterial decomposition of organic materials called composting. Its duration goes from the microorganisms decompose the organic matter until it becomes land suitable to treat it as fertilizer.
What are the advantages of compost?
The compost obtained from composting is a final sanitizing product and contains very beneficial substances for crops that do not harm the environment. However, there are five advantages that can be highlighted:
1. The compost improves the biological and physical characteristics of the soil, providing them with a large amount of nutrients.
2. Compost helps maintain soil moisture and acts as a fungicide and bactericide.
3. It is an excellent organic fertilizer for organic farming, favoring the yield of vegetables and cereals.
4. It can be easily manufactured at home taking advantage of leftover vegetable waste from the garden, food or even the dung of farm animals.
5. And finally, and one of the most important advantages, is that with the compost the amount of garbage produced in the home is reduced. In addition, the emission of greenhouse gases is avoided. And above all, it is recycled.
How to make domestic compost?
In Verdeaurora we have opted for composting for all the benefits we have mentioned and above all because they are very useful in our rural accommodation. It is a way to reuse waste and show our customers the great importance of organic farming.
So, if we can, you can too! Take note of three simple steps to make compost at home:
1. We keep all the waste that we are going to compost in a place that has high temperatures to favor the decomposition.
2. We water the waste so that all the space in which we have accumulated it is humid.
3. After 20 to 30 days, all organic materials are removed and irrigated again, providing water and moisture.
After several months check that your compost has a brown color like that of compost soil, with a pleasant smell and a smooth texture. If so, it will be ready for use.
You can share with us in the comments section your experience with the use of compost :)! We encourage you to choose to use this organic fertilizer for your land.